Monday, February 21, 2005

Billowing clouds of discontent

I am fermenting. Stewing. Simmering (so many food-related words, goodness!) on my anger, frustration. Earlier I was actively angry as I furiously cleaned my desk and related areas, taking out the trash and the boxes and the recycling that has been building up in our room without my roommate even noticing that I was doing all this, but that wasn't so much "real" anger as my expression of this deeper frustration and angst that just keeps existing.

I'm not even sure why I'm upset. It's just been one of those weekends. I feel ignored, invisible, and I am frustrated that I think about other people and never seem to get that kind of consideration in turn. I feel, at least, like I'm going out of my way most of the time to be inclusive, to invite people places, and, if I screw up, to apologize for it. I, however, never seem to be treated in kind. Megan is forgotten. Megan? Megan who? I feel like I work and work and no one even sees me any more.
Not to forget my current inexplicable feelings of self-loathing. Lately I've been looking in the mirror and not recognizing the person I'm seeing. I know, on one level at least, that I am looking at myself, but it doesn't seem like the self it should be. Something doesn't feel right. I made the mistake of going to the practice room with the full-length mirrors yesterday, and there, surrounded by images of myself, I couldn't help but start hating them, each and every one. In some, it was my cheeks, in others my belly that seemed to get pudgier as I watched, in others my eyes, in others my thighs laying bloated on the ground. I hate my name. My name, echoing with similarity. I am one of millions of "Megan"'s, hardly recognizable from any of the others. My name is one that belongs to a little girl, a small, chubby-cheeked spot of happiness. There are no such things as adult Megans or Grandma Megans or Aunty Megans. Where do they all go? All Megan's must die before they ever reach complete maturity--this seems like the only explanation. Or, perhaps, all Megans' are avoided by the rest of humanity and therefore never have any offspring, and those relatives they naturally have disown them so they will never have to claim relation to an adult Megan, which normally don't exist. Therefore, my fear of living alone and friendless is not only plausible, if this is true, it is inevitable.

What a pity.

I'll go mull over my discontent.

5 Comments:

At February 21, 2005 4:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Megan, first of all, your name has nothing to do with if you will get married and I am almost positive that your family will not disown you. I can't promise you will get married because your future is not mine to promise. But if you do get married (and I don't see why not) it will because of you not your name.

Secondly, if there is something about your body you don't like you can either accept it or change it. No other options. I wanted to lose weight so I did and I am not done losing weight. I could change that. It would be nice to look like Morris Chestnut (he is an actor, google him if you must) but I don't. Doubt I ever will. I can change it, only through expensive surgery and thats not healthy. So I accept what I have and go on.

~ Much love

 
At February 21, 2005 5:37 PM, Blogger Meg said...

To clarify, I think my name and the obvious lack of all adult "Megans'" signifies that all Megans' die young or die alone. Screw marriage. I'm not sure the odds on that are good, either. But if I don't do the marriage thing, I'll buy a parrot and talk to it--stealing Steph's plan.

 
At February 21, 2005 11:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Odds were that being a black male that I should not have lived past 18 and I shouldn't have even come close to college. Odds don't mean shit.

Beleive what you want but I am telling that your name has ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to do with how long you will live.

 
At February 22, 2005 7:36 AM, Blogger Meg said...

*sigh* Adam, I'm not talking about odds or how long I'll live, not really anyway.

What you should take from this vent is that I was having a bad weekend where I hated everything about myself and most of the things around me. Half of it was really very tongue-in-cheek, and just a commentary on my life. I don't seriously think I'll die young or be disinherited. But that really wasn't the point....

 
At February 22, 2005 12:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tounge-in-cheek and serious are near impossible to tell between on the internet and even harder on blogs. Besides tounge-in-cheek can settle into a deep dark place and fester. Either way I was just trying to help a friend. And I would do it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home