I am a journalist
I was at the Mo'ian, without a break, yesterday from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. All I ate during that time was one chocolate chocolate chip muffin and a bag of cheetos. At least I got the big bag.
What was I doing at the Mo'ian all that time? Working on an obituary. I had a desk shift from 9-2, but at about 11 I got this obituary that needed a lot of information for us to publish it at all. It's 2 before I can get someone on the phone at all. By 2:30, we know it's possibly a suicide, which is a problem. We don't generally cover suicides...but we DO have to have the cause of death for anyone under 55. This girl was 23. Thus began the great newsroom debate, with ME playing the part of information gopher.
It was a long, hungry, tiring day, but it was fun. I talked to the FBI (a few times), a medical examiner, the police, the associated press, the grieving mother, an agency that takes memorial money, a reporter from an Oklahoma newspaper (a few times), and many of the Mo'ian editors that I don't generally associate with ever; including the exec.
It was a crazy day. But at least I felt like a real reporter, if only for a bit.
Now I'm behind on my boring feature faith stuff. *sad face*

1 Comments:
oh god, i read this hilariously worded obituary... something like "he decided to return to heavenly father on march something." now that's a creative way to word a suicide, my friend. so are you feeling better about journalism? also, when are you coming back to texas? i'll be back on monday, probably. i want to see you and show you my husband. and eat chipoodle. are you coming to the wedding?
Post a Comment
<< Home