Monday, August 09, 2004

Irritations of Femininity

I am quite agitated, though I know by now I should have calmed down...But I'm sorry, I can't.
A customer-maybe two-irritated me to no end, and it only makes me madder because I can do nothing about it. If it had been a co-worker and not a customer, I could have filed a sexual harassment claim against them. Can't do anything, not even retort, when it's a customer. I just have to sit there and bite my lip and take it.
Now, the incident I am refering to is not what you might think, but it irritated me regardless. A white male customer, older than me-upper twenties early thirties-asked me to look for a movie for him. I told him we didn't have any copies, but offered to check the dropbox to see if anyone had dropped any in. As I walk the 40 feet to the drop box, him following behind, he says "Sha-wing!" I ignore him, because most of the time customers don't really talk to me, maybe he is watching a game or something, and I'm trying to concentrate on finding his stupid movie. But he apparently WAS refering to me, as he continued on, "I'm sorry, but most girls just don't know how to work their money-maker like that."
This is what has me peeved. The assumption here is that he was refering to my backside, which, because females have wider hips, swings when I walk. This is not something I do consciously; I was not putting on any kind of show for this perv. I am irritated for two reasons: 1) he was crass enough to say that to me, and 2) the only "money-maker" a woman apparently has is her own body, according to his comment.
Even if I had found the movie, I wouldn't have given it to him after he said that.

The second event happened later in the night and probably wouldn't have bothered me had the first not taken place. Another white male customer came in, younger than the other, and gave me 'the eye' with a little smirk.
Snarl.

I was not amused later that night when a co-worker refered to me as a 'chick'-but I left him alone; he didn't know how offended I was...


In short, guys, don't think you have the right to make crass comments about women just because they have bigger tits than you. We don't like it.

1 Comments:

At August 10, 2004 12:12 AM, Blogger Will said...

that's pretty crazy. i guess they didn't see the middle school movie with the sexual harrasement midget...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home