Sunday, November 19, 2006

Turkey vacation, day 3

So I'm here, at my uncles' house with my grandparents (note: no uncle or uncle's family), "enjoying" my Thanksgiving break. It isn't bad, it mostly just isn't anything, so far. Yesterday's big event was going to Costco (let's do it together now: ooOOooh!)

You know you've fallen pretty far when you catch yourself saying (to yourself) "you know, that Jak character, the hero from Jak II for PS2, is pretty cute. I'd do." Then you slam your palm into your face in shame. Terrible shame.

Anyway, today was slightly more interesting. I made a delicious cake, which took quite awhile, and lost tons of points on presentation but scored bigtime on taste. Looks like I won't be winning Iron Chef anytime soon.

Then I had an awful "Rain Man" moment when I knocked over the container of 1500 toothpicks all over the floor and in the dogs' water bowl. Aren't I awesome?

Then my grandparents took me to see "Happy Feet," which was just about the most adorable movie I could imagine. I loved it. The story was cute, though the ending came up all of a sudden (okay, everything's fixed now; the end) but the animation blew my mind! The penguins really looked like real animals, and they also danced like nothing else! Incredible! And the main character, Mumble, voiced by Elijah Wood, even looked a little bit like him. Which was strange, because he was a penguin (although I have to admit, there was one point in the movie where Mumble was leading some other, smaller penguins on this quest, and I was seriously thinking "Wow, the Penguins are also questing for the One Ring! They even have good ole' Elijah as their guide! Neat!)
It was a fantastic movie and I highly recommend it to everyone (but only after they've seen "March of the Penguins").

Then we came home and...my grandmother and I watched another movie! Hm... We watched "Must Love Dogs", which was good, except when they were talking about sex and condoms and I felt really uncomfortable because I wasn't sure I was allowed to laugh at the jokes and etc. (I mean she's my grandmother! Weird!)


Anyway, my biggest goal while I'm here is to take a bath every single night (so far, so good). I love baths. I think it might be my meditation time. I think the bathroom (but only ones with bathtubs) might be my special place, you know, the place that the rest of the world just stops mattering? -- The place that I could see myself spending a lot of money on and not minding a bit. I want a claw-footed tub....it would just be marvelous! Baths feel so wonderful, and I feel so ...creative. But of course, I would never ruin that by writing while in the bath. Because then I wouldn't feel creative. But, oh, I do so enjoy it. So much less mundane than showers...blah.

So I'm here, hanging out with my grandparents, and I'm torn. On the one hand, I can say "Look how much I belong! Isn't that just great!?!" I mean, I like the same kind of movies as my grandmother, my grandfather likes walking the dogs and looking at interesting birds, my uncle has a similar sense of humor, and my aunt is fun. And look at how skinny I look in comparison to them!

But then I think again, and just feel sad, because I realize all of those things are sorta because I have the same genes as they do, which means I have really big odds of ending up looking like them, which is less than thrilling, particularly when you factor in the diabetes. And the general old-people complaints. And that's a time that I wish I could change families.

Ah well, Here's to hoping my renewed creativity lasts after my parents get here!

2 Comments:

At November 19, 2006 11:41 PM, Blogger BeckyK said...

For Happy Feet, they totally had real people dancing (with one really famous guy I can't name) and they used motion capture (like they did with Gollum).

Bath nut.

 
At November 20, 2006 8:32 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Sure they used motion capture...they'd have to. But what gets me is that they still look like penguins, doing penguiny motions, even when they are a little humanized. Its crazy!

And today a penguin splashed me at the zoo. I felt slimy and smelly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home